Sunday, January 4, 2009

They brought to him all who were sick

Gospel of the Day (Matthew 4:12-17.23-25)

When he heard that John had been arrested, he withdrew to Galilee.

He left Nazareth and went to live in Capernaum by the sea, in the region of Zebulun and Naphtali, that what had been said through Isaiah the prophet might be fulfilled: Land of Zebulun and land of Naphtali, the way to the sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles, the people who sit in darkness have seen a great light, on those dwelling in a land overshadowed by death light has arisen."

From that time on, Jesus began to preach and say, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

He went around all of Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and curing every disease and illness among the people.

His fame spread to all of Syria, and they brought to him all who were sick with various diseases and racked with pain, those who were possessed, lunatics, and paralytics, and he cured them.

And great crowds from Galilee, the Decapolis, Jerusalem, and Judea, and from beyond the Jordan followed him.

***

Reflections:

"They brought to him all who were sick"

Let us all raise our eyes to the Lord in heaven, crying out like the prophet: «He who has been seen upon earth is our God who, through an act of his will, has spoken with men»... He who showed himself to the prophets in various forms, whom Ezekiel beheld beneath the appearance of a man on a fiery chariot (1,26) and Daniel as Son of Man and Ancient of Days, both old and young at the same time (7,9.13), showing forth in himself a single Lord: he it is who has appeared and who has illuminated all things.

He has dispersed the shades of night: thanks to him all is as midday. The light with no evening, Jesus our savior, has shone over the world. The land of Zabulun flourishes in imitation of Paradise, for «you give them to drink from the torrent of your delights» (Ps 36[35],9)... We behold in Galilee «the fountain of life» (v.10) who has appeared and illumined all things.

And I too, O Jesus, I shall then see you enlightening my mind and saying to my thoughts: «You who are always thirsty, come to me and drink» (cf. Jn 7,37). Water this humbled heart, broken by my wandering ways. They have consumed it with hunger and thirst: not a hunger for bread or thirst for water but for hearing the Spirit's word (Am 8,11)... That is why it groans softly as it waits for your judgments, you who have appeared and illumined all things...

Grant me a clear sign, purify my hidden faults, for my secret wounds are undermining me... I fall at your knees, O Savior, like the woman with the flow of blood. I, too, seize hold of the fringe of your garment, saying: «If I but touch it, I shall be saved» (Mk 5,28). Do not disappoint my faith, O healer of souls...; I shall find you for my own salvation, you who have appeared and illumined all things.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails